Who doesn’t love this adorable ending of Clannad? Bouncy, domed-shaped dango dancing around the screen giving you all the feels. Today, for Yatta-Tachi Noms, we will be making dango cookies!
Traditionally, dango are a Japanese dumpling and sweet made from mochiko, (rice flour) which are usually served with green tea. While I can simply show you how to make actual dango, I thought I would change it up a bit and create a cookie version to give away anytime of the year. The recipe is based off a traditional Mexican wedding cookie, Pan De Polvo (or Polorón). Growing up in South Texas, I always found these cookies to be just delightful. If you already know how to make these dense, cinnamon packed cookies, then you’re already ahead of the game!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans*
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ or powdered sugar
- Small Black/Brown decorating gel
* For those with a nut allergy, substitute the nuts with: an extra ½ cup (120ml) of flour and ⅓ cup (80ml) of sugar
- 240 ml butter
- 120 ml white sugar
- 10 ml vanilla extract
- 10 ml water
- 5 ml of cinnamon powder
- 480 ml cups all-purpose flour
- 240 ml finely chopped almonds or pecans*
- 120 ml confectioners’ or powdered sugar
- With a mixer, cubed and cream the butter with the white sugar until mixture becomes a light pale yellow with a creamy consistency. Approx. 5-6 mins, starting on low and progress to medium high.
- Beat in the vanilla extract, food dye of choice (3-4 drops) and water.
- Sift in the flour & cinnamon and then add the finely crushed almonds/pecans. Stir and mix with hands until fully combined. The dough should be crumbly, soft and barely come together.
- Knead the dough until it comes together completely as the butter softens. Approx. 4-5 mins.
- Form the dough in a large ball and place into a bowl.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Repeat Steps 1 – 4 as you wish to make different colors of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C).
- Grab a small amount of dough and form into a ball (depending on how large you want them to be).
- Repeat until no dough is remaining.
- Place the dough balls onto a non-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until bottoms are lightly golden.
- Move the cookies from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Lightly roll the cookies into confectionery sugar and shake off the excess.
- Wipe off the sugar to make two small areas for the eyes to adhere to.
- Pipe or dip a toothpick into the black gel and make small lines for the eyes . Feel free to have fun and make different expressions. ^_^ o_o TT-TT -_-* =^-^=
There ya have it! Three dango cookies all lined up in a row! Aren’t they so adorable?! How did yours turn out? Send us images of your cookies by either tweeting to us: @Yattatachi or sharing it at our Facebook page!